Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Hello, Fall!

I have a job! & it is my very favorite. I love everyone I work with, I get to eat some tasty food whenever I'd like, and I get to see loads of pretty happy people. It is food service (which I am horribly afraid of), but instead of dealing with uptight people at a fancy restaurant, I get to deal with high college students who are oh so happy and only have the munchies (: well, maybe not all of them. But almost all of them, and the professors, seem to be in really good moods all the time. Plus, I really just work a tiny griddle and microwave, so it isn't the toughest job in the this whole wide world. But I have been working lots, so there's my next excuse. I worked about 70 hours in the last two weeks - but now I have this WHOLE week off to work on baking and photoshop, which I've already taken a bite out of. Oh! & make this blog quite lovely (more on this later). My next post will have the picture I am most proud of over the last few.. well, ever really.

 But for now, my little hand at baking:

Only a few days till Thanksgiving! This year is going to be a rather small bunch since half my siblings are super duper far away. Which means I get to take over my sister's delicious job of baking. I've commandeered pumpkin. So, Sunday night I spent the night baking some tasty pumpkin and butterscotch/white chocolate cookies. They turned out a lot better than expected, especially with all the wee problems we ran into. I had to bring just about every ingredient with my to my friend's house since I knew he wouldn't have any of it, but I forgot vanilla, butter, and eggs. So we skipped to the store and I bought vanilla, butter, and eggs - and we began! But then I realized I lost my butter and vanilla and he already had plenty of eggs and SALTED butter. So, I left the salt out of the recipe and used Kahlua instead of vanilla. The original recipe had twice the amount of baking soda and half the amount of spices (and I added "all spice" just for fun) and I believe they turned out really well.

They are very soft and almost cakey with how chewy they are. The recipe was for 60 cookies, but seeing as I make ginormous cookies, I probably got about 20.
+ + +
I cooked them at 350 for 12 minutes (:
1 cup (two sticks) - butter
1 cup - sugar
1 cup - brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon - vanilla (or kahlua;)
1 cup - pumpkin (I added a few tablespoons extra)
3 cups - flour
1 teaspoons - baking soda (original recipe asked for 2 teaspoons)
half teaspoon - salt (I left this out because of the salted butter)
2 teaspoons - cinnamon
1 teaspoon - ginger
half teaspoon - nutmeg
half teaspoon - cloves
1 teaspoon - allspice

12 ounce bag (two cups) of whatever flavor baking chips - butterscotch was my very favorite. I also used white chocolate for part of the batch, which wasn't as sweet. You could either grease the cookie sheet or use baking sheets(which I did), I only had to use one and there was no clean up at all after :)

Comment with anything you tried differently!
I'll be making these again, but this time with pictures. Promises, promises!

à la prochaine fois,
Gabrielle

No comments:

Post a Comment